For the past 3 weeks, Jake has been waking up early. There is a clear pattern to his sleep at the moment; it goes a little something like this:
- 6:15ish bed time bottle (8oz) and then asleep between 6:30 and 7pm
- Wake at 10pm to change nappy and feed 7oz bottle at 10:15 then back to sleep by 11pm
- Waking up at around 5-5:30am to talk to himself and sometimes go back to sleep
- Fully awake at 6:15-6:30am babbling, squealing, blowing raspberries and chatting to himself.
- Up at 7am with mummy and fed 8oz bottle at 7:45-8am
I'm at a loss as to why, after sleeping 12 hours every night, we're suddenly having this 'early bid gets the worm' attitude. He doesn't cry at all; the only reason I know he's awake is because I can hear his raspberries and squealing on the monitor. I have now, stopped going in to him. I check his nappy, change if needed and then put him back in his cot until getting him up at 7am.
I'm really not sure what might be causing this new routine, except for these few possibilities:
- Daddy gets up for work at 4:45am and leaves around 5am - but is quiet and makes very little noise
- Around 5am it may be dropping cool - perhaps he's cold? But I do keep the heater set to roughly 18/19'C and he has a short sleeve grow, a sleep suit and a blanket over him
- Hunger? I really don't think it is - he doesn't feed until 7:45/8am and isn't crying
- Thirst? Again - not crying or calling out for me so I don't think so
- A wonder week's leap? Yes - according to the app timeline for Jake, he has just started leap 5 which is 'relationships'. But this has been happening for a few weeks.
- Natural early riser? This is what I think it must be - I am going to cut his total day time napping to a maximum of 2.5-3 hours and be strict to see if that helps.
If anyone has any ideas? Advice? Thoughts? Tips? Then please drop me a comment below.